Lois Brown Dale

Lois Brown Dale
Mama's Birthday at Beehive Tavern

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Karen's Poem for Mama Lois

"For Mama”
From Karen

Written Tuesday, August 18th, 2009 2:30 p.m.

Here I am, Mama, writing for you
Deciding whether to “center” or do “full justification”
I promised you as I leaned over you
And whispered,
“I promise you, Mama, I will write.
I will write books
And, I promise to publish
Your writings, too”.

“We’re a great team,”
That’s what I say and said to you,
As you slipped away early Sunday morning
You used the last bit of strength you had left to reach up
And touch your hand to my cheek,
You opened your eyes just once again
And said,
“Aggravation”.

It was time to “Go Bye, Bye”.
I had prayed the Lord’s Prayer
Standing in the middle of your room
Looking at the picture of your mother
Helen (in her tennis dress).
I told her to “Come and get your daughter”.

I looked around at all the pictures
Of family, of friends, some who were waiting for you.
I prayed and turned around
Then leaned down,
Took your hand in mine
Then took your pulse once again.

The little heart on the wrist monitor
Did not flicker
I checked it twice … just to be sure
You had left. . .
I was there. . .
Knowing at last
You had left
You were
At last
Where you were meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment